Plant of the month –
Verbena rigida produces short straight stems with bristly leaves and small heads of rich, dark purple flowers. This verbena slowly spreads and intermingles with other plants, where it forms small drifts –
it can be used to great affect amongst other herbaceous perennials or in containers.
This lovely verbena blends in brilliantly with a purple colour scheme and will survive in heat and low rainfall.
Top 10 jobs for August
- Prune Wisteria
- Do not delay summer pruning restricted fruits
- Deadhead flowering plants regularly
- Watering! Particularly containers, and new plants –
preferably with grey recycled water or stored rainwater
- Collect seed from favourite plants
- Harvest sweetcorn and other vegetables as they become ready
- Continue cutting out old fruited canes on raspberries
- Lift and pot up rooted strawberry runners
- Keep ponds and water features topped up
- Feed the soil with green manures