Plant of the month –
Aconitum carmichaelii ‘Arendsii’ gives a lovely intense blue colour late on in the season when a lot of our other perennials are losing their colours. It is well known for its gorgeous blue flower panicles and glossy green leaves. ‘Arendsii’ in particular has very sturdy stems and withstands our windy site very well.
It starts flowering early September and will continue on well into autumn.
Top 10 jobs for October
- Clear up fallen autumn leaves regularly
- Cut back perennials that have died down
- Divide herbaceous perennials and rhubarb crowns
- Move tender plants, including aquatic ones, into the greenhouse
- Plant out spring cabbages
- Harvest apples, pears, grapes and nuts
- Prune climbing roses
- Order seeds for next year
- Last chance to mow lawns and trim hedges in mild areas
- Renovate old lawns or create new grass areas by laying turf